Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How About a Peek??

Wow! Today we became one of only 3 companies chosen to be featured on the CRAVE, Ft. Worth website in the Sneak Peek section for the Ft. Worth book scheduled for release in December. :-) Not only are we in the Sneak Peek section, but we were also featured in the CRAVE blog!

The book is scheduled for release in December which is sneaking up on me it seems. If you purchase the book (I believe they will retail for $19.95), then you will get discounts on many of the shops featured, including the Bordello. I have a 10% coupon for any one item you purchase.

On another note, having your own business never fails to present you with adventures. Some good, some hilarious, some just freakin sad. Today I experienced one of those 'sad' ones. Not 'sad' like crying or upseting, but 'sad' as in, Man, that's just sad that these people are like that.

So, there is this scam that has been going around forever in the baking world...yeah, I know, crazy, lol. Anywho, these folks claim to be disabled (a crime in and of itself if you ask me) then they say they need a wedding cake, no expense too much, and they will have someone come pick it up on their behalf...a "private shipping company." They go on to say to bill their credit card (which has been stolen, no doubt), and then they want you to wire the money to them for the shipping for which they will reimburse you. Of course, if you fall for this, then you soon realize there is no shipping company and you have busted your @$$ making a cake for no one and are out not only your labor but your "shipping" money as well.

Luckily for me, I don't buy the fact that a bride from Ontario who is "hearing impaired" visited me and tasted my cake (I do consulations for all my brides) and I totally forgot about her and had no paperwork on her, and waited until 2 weeks before her big day to frantically call me and request a 5-tier stacked cake, lol. I was suspicious from the word, go. Needless to say, when I sent her a lovely email declining the order and informing her of the similarity between her request and a national bakery scam, I didn't hear anything more. I may have added a few choice words in my reply, but I'll keep those to myself ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment