Thursday, October 7, 2010

Well, here we are!

Wow, my first blog as a business-owner. How exciting!

The past 3 1/2 months have been an absolute whirlwind of activity. I have had such a great response to the Bordello that I find myself going crazy trying to keep my life organized. I guess that's a good thing, eh?

I've been at 3 different markets: The Beach Street Market, The New Public Market, and the Grapevine Open Air market, and have met so many folks and seen return customers over and over. I've also heard a lot of questions and comments about the Bordello, what we sell, and what we're all about. Sooo, I think it's only appropriate to start my first blog entry by answering some of those questions and introducing all of you to my passion!

  • What's the deal with the black cat in your logo? Do you sell cat food?

Uh...no. We do not sell cat foot, cat treats, cat-related merchandise, or cats. The black cat (translated, Le Chat Noir, in French), represents the first cabaret opened in 19th century France. It was a place for poets, artists, and other eccentric folk to enjoy musical acts and female entertainment. That's one explanation anyhow. The other is, I actually own a little black cat who is the love of my life. She is getting-on in years and having her depicted in my logo and business name is my way of thanking her for making me so happy. Ok, wipe the tears away now ;-) Moving on...

  • What is a "Cupcake Bordello"? It sounds dirty.

Dirty, no. Alluring, mysterious, and just plain fun, yes. Every one of my cupcake creations is named after a type of woman or describes a woman in some way. Why? Why not? I figure it's only fitting that a dessert so beautiful, so seductive, so sinful, and so tempting, be named after a woman, don't you?

  • Ok, I've seen your macaroons and they don't look anything like the ones I grew up with. I mean, no coconut? What's up with that?

The macaroons you're thinking of are a southern tradition, are made with coconut and sweetened condensed milk. MY macarons (notice the spelling, M-A-C-A-R-O-N), pronounced, Mac-Rahn, originated in France. They are made with almonds, sugar, and egg whites, and are a meringue-like cookie. Each one is flavored differently and filled with a homemade filling, either fruit curd/jam, buttercreams, or ganache. And I actually DO make some made with coconut if you just can't bear to part with it;-)

  • Where is your storefront?

I do not have a retail storefront. Wait, wait...don't leave yet! I do have a location where you can pick up your orders. All you need to do is give me a call, tell me what you'd like and when you want to pick it up, and I'll be there, girls in hand, ready to pass them on to their new home with you. Think of it this way: no lines, no waiting. I can't promise that you still won't have the hard decision about which flavor to get though; with a repitoire of over 40 flavors (and growing), you'll want to order more than one, I'm sure.

  • Do you make anything else besides cupcakes and macarons?

ABSOLUTELY! I make pies for the holidays: pumpkin meringue (with bourbon infused meringue), apple, and more, all with homemade pate brisee pie crust. If there is something you have in mind, whatever kind of pastry, give me a call and we'll talk about it.

Wow, I guess that's enough for my first blog. If I keep going I'll run out of things to talk about! Oh, who am I kidding, I never run out of things to talk about;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment