Friday, October 8, 2010

Yeah, we do that...that too...

I hear folks so often ask, can you make a cake that looks like this or that? Or, do you make this flavor of cupcake? I may not always have a recipe developed yet for a particular flavor, or have made a cake that looks like your uncle Jim-Bob's maple sap bucket stuck on the tree that you and your sister carved your names into when you were five, but I LOVE a challenge;-)

This week, I was challenged with the infamous Italian Cream cake and another favorite, Tres Leches cake. I have to admit, I've never made either. I've eaten them once...twice...ok, maybe a lot. I knew what I liked and what I didn't like about them, so I put my pen to paper, pulled out my tried and true recipes and went to work.

Like all my recipes, I used only natural ingredients. Many of the Italian Cream cake recipes I studied called for shortening or margarine in addition to butter. One recipe had no butter at all...it was ALL shortening and margarine! BLECH! Another called for sweetened shredded coconut. Uh, can we say, high fructose corn syrup?!? Well, I am proud to say, the end result is nothing short of perfection in all its real butter, natural coconut flaked, Austin Nut pecan filled, mascarpone topped, glory.

So, without further ado ~drum roll~ here she is...



P.S. - Still working on the Tres Leches. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment